All physical attendance slots for this year's conference have been filled.
However, you can still register to attend the conference virtually through a Zoom platform.
Click here to register and attend the conference virtually from the comfort of your home or office.
Count Down to the Conference
What is Africa Animal Welfare Conference (AAWC)
It is an annual conference co-hosted by Africa Network for Animal Welfare (ANAW) in collaboration with United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), African Union InterAfrican Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR) and the Government of the Country on Which the Conference is held, for professionals and practitioners, coming together to discuss issues that cut across animal welfare, wildlife and environmental conservation.
The 7th Africa Animal Welfare Conference - Action 2023
Registration to participate in this year's conference through a virtual link is still ongoing. Please hurry and register now.
Conference Dates: 25-27 September 2023 (Arrival on 24th and Departure on 28th September 2023)
- Physical - Sainte Famille Hotel, Kigali – Rwanda. - Physical attendance slots filled
- Virtual through a Zoom platform - Click here to register to attend the conference virtually
Conference Logistics Note
This logistics note is a guide to those attending the conference physically in Kigali, Rwanda. If you are attending the conference physically in Rwanda, kindly take few minutes to read the logistic note.
It covers the following areas:
1. ACCOMMODATION DURING THE CONFERENCE
3. VISITORS VISA - REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION
4. AIRPORT TRANSFERS
5. PLASTIC BAGS
7. THE CONFERENCE
8. SOCIAL MEDIA
11. RWANDA TRAVEL ADAPTORS
Click Here to Read/Download a pdf Version of the Logistics Note
Delegates Participating Virtually Through a Zoom Platform
If you are attending the conference virtually through a Zoom Platform, we will send you a Zoom link about a week to the start of the conference.
If you have not yet registered for the conference, click on the "Regsiter Now" button below to register and participate either virtually or physically
Conference Theme and Sub-Themes
- Farm and working animals
- Welfare of animals in disasters
- Faith based perspectives of animal welfare and environmental conservation
- Emerging trends in education and research
- Wildlife and environmental conservation
- Climate change and animal welfare (Panel discussion)
Conference Vision, Mission, and Goal
The Conference aims to be the premier platform for animal welfare stakeholders in Africa to engage in dialogue, learning and strategy development to address circumstances and developments in animal welfare.
The Conference sets to bring together animal welfare stakeholders to deliberate on critical issues affecting animals, their value and their contribution to socio- economic, environmental, humane and sustainable development in Africa.
The overall goal of the conference is to stimulate policy development, review and planning for the realization of animal welfare.
This 7th Conference will seek to achieve the following objectives:
- To outline the need to ensure actions toward balancing the need for human development and environmental sustainability.
- To illustrate progress towards mainstreaming Animal Welfare in the United Nations and preparations towards UNEA 6.
- To reflect on the progress of implementation of AWSA through the Africa Platform for Animal Welfare (APAW).
- To exchange knowledge and best practices towards enhancing animal welfare, environmental sustainability and human development.
- To develop a critical mass of sensitized animal welfare stakeholders in Africa to champion and support the emerging animal welfare, sustainable development and environment agenda in the continent.
- To entrench among stakeholders and communities in Africa their role in improving animal welfare and supporting environmental conservation in Africa.
- To advance linkages and networking among stakeholders in animal welfare, environment, development and related sectors in Africa.
- Review and commit to necessary action plans that need to be taken towards enhancing animal welfare in Africa.
- Enhanced support for animal welfare and environmental policies from government institutions and other key stakeholders in Africa.
- Conference report, including resolutions.
- Conference papers and presentations.
The Conference is jointly organized by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), African Union InterAfrican Union for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR) and Africa Network for Animal Welfare.
They are supported by a Conference Organising Committee and will work in partnership with the Government of Rwanda through the ministries of Agriculture and Environment.